| Home | Projects | AmateurRadio | Contact Info | Portable Rotation
B9-Project

William Waters III - N7IPY

My B9 Robot from the 1965 TV Series, "Lost In Space" Project Page 

B9Picture1.jpg

When I was just 7 years old, back in 1965 the TV series "Lost In Space" came out and it opened my mind to technology with what at the time seemed like a super advanced Robot (years later I learned that there was a person in side of it doing the acting).  I so wanted to build a Robot of my own but had no skills, knowledge or access to the tools and parts need for such a challenge, but it did start me on my path to a degree in Electrical Engineering and a carrier in technology.  Many years later I stumble onto a web site dedicated to the building of such a project, and instantly I was hooked and had to build my own 'Environmental Control Robot'. 

This a picture of the completely restored 'Stunt Robot' I stole from a web page.  Someday I hope my robot will look as nice but plan to have many autonomous features. 

I have spent many years building scale RC aircraft, and many other ‘projects’ so I figure I am up to the task of this challenge.   

Current progress:

The Collar is now finished. This took longer to build from scratch than I thought.  Buying the plastic, cutting and gluing and thinking through the process took a long time.  As the creator, I know where the imprefections are but in general I am happy with the outcome.  One positive outcome is that the collar causes the motor operations to be quieter.  I have and plan to put 4 PIR Motion Sensors in the collar.  I have not developed the electronics to use the sensor data, but wanted to add them before I sealed up the inside area of the collar with the ribs  They will be able to sense motion from 4 different directions.  You wont be able to sneak up on this B9.  In the final picture of the Collar build section is the stak-up of what is done so far.  In the picture is also a temporary remote control processor with losts of buttons.  I use it to send command sequences to the B9 to control the lights, motors, and voice.  Also in that picture, inside the test stand is a picture of the Voice Controller Speakers, and hidden from view the Audio Amp.  Next it is back to sanding / filling and finishing the fibreglass torso.

After spending about a month reading and studying how others have done it -  I decided to use the Top Down - Bottom Up approach, starting with the ‘Brain’ in the bubble and working down to start.  I chose this partly as it will take time to save the funds needed to purchase many of the  parts needed to build much of the structure. 

If a person had the funds, they could purchase a professionally built replica but what fun would that be for a person who likes to tinker and build things. 

Some things I have bought like the plastic bubble, the body torso, rubber parts like the arms, and the wheels, etc., but as funds can be tight, I will build everything that I can.  

The Brain:  My brain is build from hobby plywood, cardboard, and light fiberglass, using the same processes used in RC aircraft construction.  To see details on this, click here...

Light Controller:  Having lots of experience with microcontroller design and firmware development, I decided to design my own light controller.  Go here to read more…

The Crown: The Crown was made from two sheets of hobby Aluminum.  See the details here...

From The Neck Up:  The final construction and recap of the all parts from the neck up.

The Collar:  The Collar is made from Plastic and houses the Radar turn motor

Voice/Sound Controller: My serial interface controller to the MP3 player.

The Radar and Everything up:  Most of the structure of the Radar section I bought from a club vendor. 

Motorized Ear Posts and Sensors: My idea was to build the Ear Posts from plastic, see how here.

Back to Design Projects

(C) 2007 - 2017  William Waters   Last Updated July, 2017